From R560 PPS
Malala is a bush lodge on a 140 hectare (340 acre) private nature reserve, accommodating a maximum of only 18 guests, thereby ensuring a tranquil African bush atmosphere and experience.
Our lodge is located in the Hluhluwe area, in the centre of the Elephant Coast in the province of KwaZulu-Natal. We are ideally positioned between the world-renowned Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve, Mkhuze Game Reserve, Sodwana Bay and the iSimangaliso Wetland Park.
Malala has been owned and managed by the Harvey family since 2001 and we, together with an enthusiastic team of staff, are always on hand to provide the personal attention one would associate with a small intimate lodge.
Our property has a variety of vegetation types, including lowland forest, woodland, grasslands and Wetlands. You can enjoy a leisurely stroll through these diverse habitats on well-maintained and marked walking trails. You may come across some of our game, which includes Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Nyala, Reedbuck and Red and Grey Duiker. Other smaller wildlife that may cross your path are Large-spotted Genet, various mongooses, Vervet Monkeys and dung beetles. You may even spot the rare Suni Antelope or the unusual Four-toed Elephant Shrew.
In addition, Malala Lodge is at the centre of the birding hotspot of KwaZulu-Natal with over 500 species of bird having been recorded in the Elephant Coast area. The Malala Lodge birdlist currently has over 270 recorded species.
The main thatched lodge is centrally positioned within the camp and overlooks indigenous forest. Here guests can enjoy a relaxing drink in the cosy bush pub or take a dip in the palm-fringed swimming pool.
Meals are available, by prior arrangement, in the lodge dining room:
- Dinner is a home-styled three-course set menu with cheese and biscuits and tea/coffee; and
- Breakfast is a full English breakfast including cereals, fruit salad, yoghurt and tea/coffee.
- Lunch is not available at the lodge, but lunch options are available in the towns of Hluhluwe and St Lucia.
Adjoining the dining room is a small reading lounge where a variety of magazines and books are available for your interest.
Malala Lodge can accommodate guests on a self-catering basis or, if you would prefer, indulge yourself in genuine home-cooked meals in the attractive thatched dining room.
Our accommodation, which nestles within the forest fringe, comprises:
- Four private, thatched, open plan chalets all with en-suite shower facilities. The chalets are 1-bedroom units which can accommodate 2 adults, or 2 adults and a child. All the chalets come with fully equipped kitchenettes, ceiling fans and braai/barbeque facilities.
- A semi-detached chalet equipped with en-suite shower facilities, separate lounge, kitchenette and ceiling fans and braai/barbeque facilities. The chalet accommodates two adults sharing.
- Two family cottages each comprising two bedrooms (en-suite), lounge and kitchenette and equipped with ceiling fans and braai/barbeque facilities. These units accommodate family groups of up to 4.
- A family cottage comprising two bedrooms, bathroom, lounge and kitchen and equipped with ceiling fans and braai/barbeque facilities. This large unit accommodates a family group of up to 5.
All of the accommodation units are supplied with tea/coffee facilities and all linen and towels are provided.
Malala is ideally positioned between the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve, Mkhuze Game Reserve, Sodwana Bay and the iSimangaliso Wetland Park.
We provide game drives, by prior arrangement, in our open game-viewing vehicle into the world renowned Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve, providing guests with a superb opportunity of viewing a multitude of mammals, birds, reptiles and plants.
Other activities include
- Self-drive day trips to the parks and beaches of St. Lucia, Sodwana Bay and Cape Vidal for boat cruises, kayaking, snorkelling, diving and whale watching.
- Walking and horse trails through nearby parks and reserves.
- Cultural Zulu Village tours - gain firsthand knowledge of traditional Zulu culture and lifestyle.
Private, thatched, open plan chalets all with en-suite shower facilities. The chalets can accommodate 2 adults, or 2 adults and a child. All the chalets come with fully equipped kitchenettes, ceiling fans and barbeque facilities.
|January||2016||R 745||R 560|
|February||2016||R 745||R 560|
|March||2016||R 745||R 560|
|April||2016||R 745||R 560|
|May||2016||R 745||R 560|
|June||2016||R 745||R 560|
|July||2016||R 745||R 560|
|August||2016||R 745||R 560|
|September||2016||R 745||R 560|
|October||2016||R 745||R 560|
|November||2016||R 745||R 560|
|December||2016||R 745||R 560|
Each comprise two bedrooms (en-suite), lounge and kitchenette and equipped with ceiling fans and barbeque facilities. These units can accommodate up to 4 adults sharing.
Rates are deemed correct at time of publication and may fluctuate depending on supply and demand. Establishments maintain their rates online and any differences should be referred to the Establishment's staff. Quotations once accepted are binding.
All credit cards are accepted when paying through Sleeping-OUT.
3 night Safari Special - comprises 3 nights dinner, bed and breakfast plus a 3 hour game drive into the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve plus a boat cruise on the St Lucia estuary (transfers excluded) for R2 875 per person sharing. 2 night Safari Special - comprises 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast plus a 3 hour game drive into the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve (transfer excluded) for R2 090 per person sharing.